Burn Ban in Effect. Click here for more information

Winter Is Coming

Now is the time to prepare your home to be fire safe.

More fires happen in the winter months than any other time of the year.

During the cold months, we spend more time indoors, cooking, entertaining, celebrating, and heating our homes.

It is important to keep fire safety in mind when we return to “living indoors.”

Cooking:

  • Stay in the kitchen while you are cooking!  IF you must leave the room, even for just a minute, turn off the stove! 
  • Keep combustible items like cooking mitts, paper, towels, etc. away from heat sources.

Entertaining:

Cooking is often a relaxing and fun task that brings family and friends together, but cooking is also the number one cause of home fires and home injuries.

  • Unattended cooking is the leading factor in home cooking fires.
  • Ranges accounted for the largest share of home cooking fire incidents.
  • Frying poses the greatest risk of fire.
  • Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires.
  • Two-thirds of home cooking fires started when food or other cooking materials caught fire.

Celebrating:

No matter what holiday you are celebrating, remember fire safety.

  • Cook with care.
  • Decorate with care indoors and out.

Holidays:

What holiday causes the most fires?

Holiday cooking

  • Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires followed by Christmas Day and then Christmas Eve.

Home Heating:

If you are using a portable heater:

  • Make sure the heater has an automatic shut-off so if it tips over, it shuts off.
  • Keep anything that can burn such bedding, clothing, and curtains at least 3 feet from the heater.
  • Plug portable heaters directly into wall outlets. Never use an extension cord or power strip.
  • Turn heaters off when you go to bed or leave the room.

If you are using a fireplace:

  • Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out and starting a fire.
  • Do not burn paper in your fireplace.
  • Before you go to sleep or leave your home put the fire out completely.
  • Put ashes in a metal container with a lid. Store the container outside at least 3 feet from your home.

If you are using a wood stove:

  • Have your chimney inspected and cleaned each year by a professional.
  • Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from the stove.
  • Do not burn paper in your wood stove.
  • Before you go to sleep or leave your home, put the fire out completely.

When heating your home, you need to be aware of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is called the “invisible killer” because it’s a colorless, odorless, and poisonous gas. More than 150 people in the U.S. die each year due to accidental CO poisoning from generators or fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fireplaces. Breathing CO at high levels can kill you.

Put CO alarms inside your home to provide an early warning of increasing CO levels. These alarms should be placed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of your home.

As always, make sure you have a smoke alarm on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas. Test your alarms every month. Have a home fire escape plan and practice your plan at least twice a year. Make sure everyone knows how to escape your home if there is a fire.