Pro and Con Committees Spokane Valley Fire Department is placing before the voters on the February 14, 2023 ballot a proposition authorizing a maintenance and operations excess levy.
How does a Fire District get its funding for Maintenance and Operations (M&O)? Junior taxing Fire Districts must go out for Levies every 4 years...
Now is the time to prepare your home to be fire safe. More fires happen in the winter months than any other time of the year. During the cold...
WHAT IS A RED FLAG WARNING?
Red Flag Warnings are issued by the National Weather Service as an indication of severe weather conditions increasing the risk of wildland fires. These alerts inform the public, firefighters, and land management agencies, such as DNR and BLM, about current weather conditions.
Conditions that increase the risk and danger of wildfires and the resulting rapid spread and growth of those fires are:
- Relative humidity,
- Winds, and
- Warm temperatures.
Under Red Flag Warning conditions, it is extremely important to practice fire safe behaviors.
- Do not throw cigarettes or matches out of car windows.
- Don’t extinguish cigarettes on the ground.
- Ensure that chains or other materials on your vehicle are secured and not contacting the ground and causing sparks.
- Do not drive or park over dry grass or vegetation.
- Postpone target shooting.
- Avoid yard work or welding near dry vegetation.
- Remember, too, that burning of yard debris is not legal now, or anytime, in Spokane County.
- Julie Happy