Pro and Con Committees Spokane Valley Fire Department is placing before the voters on the February 14, 2023 ballot a proposition authorizing a maintenance and operations excess levy.
How does a Fire District get its funding for Maintenance and Operations (M&O)? Junior taxing Fire Districts must go out for Levies every 4 years...
Now is the time to prepare your home to be fire safe. More fires happen in the winter months than any other time of the year. During the cold...
SVFD Crews Quickly Extinguish Balcony Fire
Nov. 28, 2016 – Spokane Valley Fire Department (SVFD) crews responded to a reported apartment fire at the Aspen Village Apartments, 15821 E. 4th Avenue shortly before 3 am today. A 911 caller reported seeing flames from the back of the third floor apartment from across the street. One of the two occupants of the unit where the fire started said the smoke alarms woke them up, they saw smoke and flames coming from the living room area and they safely evacuated. The alarm setting off the entire building fire alarm system was also pulled to notify everyone in the 18 unit apartment complex to evacuate the 3-story building.
Upon arrival, Valley Command 22 observed flames coming out of the third floor apartment on the balcony, with flames extending into the attic. Valley Ladder 10 did a quick attack from the back side of the building knocking down the flames. Once this was completed crews went inside the apartment to knock down the rest of the fire, as well as another fire crew accessed the roof to ventilate the attic space. Because of the size of the building, a second alarm was dispatched which brought additional fire resources. With the quick attack from Ladder 10 and the constructed fire walls in the attic space, the fire was contained to just one apartment. However two additional apartments sustained water and smoke damage. Four families are receiving assistance from Red Cross until the City of Spokane Valley Building Department can determine which units are safe to occupy. One resident was treated at the scene and released for minor smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.
Seven SVFD engines, two ladder trucks, two command vehicles, a Spokane City Fire Ladder, two engines from Fire District 8 and two fire investigators responded to the working fire. Crews extinguished the fire within 15 minutes of arrival. The origin of the fire is believed to be a space heater used on the back balcony of the third floor apartment. The Spokane Valley Fire Department would like to remind the community that a fire doubles in size every 30 seconds. Please make sure you have working smoke alarms, as demonstrated by the outcome of this fire. ###
- Julie Happy