Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries are in widespread use in consumer electronics. Lithium batteries have become the industry standard for rechargeable...
Safety Tip: Carbon Monoxide Alarms Save Lives
Carbon monoxide poisoning is believed to have killed two Coulee City, WA residents on February 12, 2018. A man and a woman were found dead inside...
Safety Tip: Smoking While Using Medical Oxygen Is a Deadly Mix
In the Spokane Valley Fire Department service area, we are seeing a dangerous emerging trend — the use of at-home medical oxygen by people who...
Safety Tip: Summer Grilling Safety
Spokane Valley Fire Department (SVFD) and metro area agencies enacted the Fire Danger Burn Restriction, Wednesday, July 24. With high temperatures in the forecast and smoke in the air, SVFD wants to keep the community safe from fire risk while still enjoying those enjoyable outdoor summer activities such as grilling.
To keep your summer grilling safe, don’t place your BBQ too close to anything that burns or it may just become a fire hazard.
The summer months, from May through August, are the peak months for grill fires. According to the NFPA, 10,200 home fires, on average, are started by grills each year. In addition, 19,000 patients went to the ER per year because of injuries involving grills.
The following list includes Grilling Safety Tips from the NFPA:
- Propane and charcoal grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed far away from the house, deck railings, and out from under the eaves and from any overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- If you use a charcoal grill along with starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add the charcoal fluid or any other flammable fluids to the fire.
- Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from any heat sources.
Did you Know?
- You can sign up for a station tour. Great for small groups.
- You should replace the batteries in your smoke alarms twice a year.
- Creating a defensible space with regards to wildfires could just save your home or property.
- We have Friends & Family CPR classes every month.