Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries are in widespread use in consumer electronics. Lithium batteries have become the industry standard for rechargeable...
2023 Community Risk Reduction (CRR) Week
Each year, starting with the Martin Luther King holiday, fire departments around the nation support a weeklong campaign to educate communities about...
Call for Pro and Con Committee to Review Levy
Pro and Con Committees Spokane Valley Fire Department is placing before the voters on the February 14, 2023 ballot a proposition authorizing a maintenance and operations excess levy.
GIVE THE GIFT OF WINTER HOLIDAY SAFETY
Holiday gifts come in many shapes and sizes, some can be purchased, and others can be felt by the actions we take towards others. The holiday season is upon us, and many of us look forward to sharing in the holiday festivities. The sparkling lights and flickering flames from candles and fireplaces, while enjoyable to view, present us with holiday fire risks! Join us in giving your loved ones the gift of holiday safety.
Holiday fire facts provide by the National Fire Protection Association indicate that:
- Almost 1/3 of home Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems.
- More than two of every five decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source.
- Almost half of home decoration fires were started by candles.
Give the gift of holiday safety by following these simple tips:
- Be careful with holiday decorations. Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for the number of light strands to connect to avoid an overload.
- Turn off all light strings and decorations before leaving home or going to bed.
- Space heaters should be kept at least three feet from flammable objects, like curtains, bedspreads, furniture, and holiday decorations.
- Blow out candles when you leave a room or go to bed. Keep lit candles at least 12” away from decorations or other things that can burn. Consider battery-operated candles.
The Spokane Valley Fire Department reminds you to have working smoke alarms in all bedrooms, outside each sleeping area, and on every level of your home. Contact us at 509-928-1700, or www.spokanevalleyfire.com for more information.
Did you Know?
- You can sign up for a station tour. Great for small groups.
- You should replace the batteries in your smoke alarms twice a year.
- Creating a defensible space with regards to wildfires could just save your home or property.
- We have Friends & Family CPR classes every month.
- Julie Happy