National EMS Week 2022: May 15 - 21, 2022 Please join us in recognizing Emergency Medical Service (EMS) professionals during EMS Week: May 15-21,...
Join us on social media throughout the month of May, Wildland Fire Awareness Month, as we share safety tips about wildfire. Here in Spokane County,...
Our ability to serve our community starts with our community. The Spokane Valley Fire Department has recently adopted Resolution No. 2022-513...
EARLY MORNING FIRE IN OUTSIDE STRUCTURE
For Immediate Release:
March 30th, 2022
Early Morning Fire in Outside Structure
Improper use of extension cords causes fire in Tiny Home
Spokane Valley Fire Department responded to an early morning fire in an occupied 14ft x 40ft alternative outside structure being used as a “Tiny Home” in the back of the property at 3222 N. Elton in Spokane Valley. Occupants called 911 when they awoke to smoke and flames burning up the wall next to the electrical panel in the structure. The occupants were able to exit the structure safely but were exposed to some smoke while attempting to put the fire out themselves. One occupant was evaluated by AMR on scene after being exposed to smoke and was later drove to a local hospital by family members for further evaluation as they felt they did not need ambulance transport.
The initial arriving crew VE2 reported no fire showing and was quickly directed to the correct address approx. three houses south of the original reported address from the 911 caller. The occupants met with VE2 crew and reported that they had extinguished the fire with the garden hose running from the main home on the property that was being used for the domestic water supply to the outside structure. Fire crews completed a quick search of the structure to confirm fire was extinguished and no occupants were still in the structure. A small mattress and bean bag were still smoldering and were removed by fire crews and extinguished with water lines in the backyard. The type of structure even though still structurally standing is currently uninhabitable due to smoke and fire damage. No firefighter injuries were reported.
Occupants reported that there are usually two family members living in the structure. The cause of the fire was improper use of multiple extension cords running from the primary residence to the outside structure acting as a permanent power source. The structure did not have any smoke detectors installed, fire extinguishers and proper electrical wiring.
Spokane Valley Fire wants to remind residents that use of alternate outside structure such as portable type sheds or “Tiny Home” type structures still require proper permitting which includes following the fire codes in that area. Extension cords are for temporary use and are not permitted for use as permanent power source or in the place of approved permitted electrical wiring.
The Spokane Valley Fire Department would like to remind residents that fire codes are in place for your protection and life safety. If you have questions related to the fire codes in your area you can contact the Prevention Department at Spokane Valley Fire Department.
About Spokane Valley Fire Department
The Spokane Valley Fire Department (SVFD) serves a population of 125,000+ over 75-square miles, including the cities of Spokane Valley, Liberty Lake and Millwood, as well as surrounding unincorporated areas. In 2021, our cross-trained Firefighter/EMTs and Firefighter/Paramedics responded to more than 22,400 emergency calls.
Established in 1940, SVFD is committed to pursuing excellence and is distinguished as an accredited agency by the Commission on Fire Accreditation International (CFAI), and by SVFD’s Class 2 fire insurance rating from the Washington Survey and Rating Bureau
- Julie Happy