News: Safety Tips

News: Safety Tips

Safety Tip: Cook Up Safety this Holiday Season

Safety Tip: Cook Up Safety this Holiday Season

The kitchen is the heart of the home. It’s where families gather to cook favorite recipes, share warm meals, and reconnect with each other, especially during the holidays. Unfortunately, it’s also where the number one reported home fire starts. Follow the “Recipe for Kitchen Safety” and help this year’s festivities create memories instead of danger.

Read More


Don’t Smoke? Smoking Fires Can Still Impact You

Don’t Smoke? Smoking Fires Can Still Impact You

The statistics are grim. In 2018, every significant residential fire in the Spokane Valley Fire Department service area has been caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials. Don’t smoke? Fires caused by smoking materials can still impact you.

Read More


Safety Tip: Take Action to Prevent Older Adult Falls

Safety Tip: Take Action to Prevent Older Adult Falls

Every second, someone over the age of 65 falls in the United States. Every second. In fact, 1 in 4 older Americans (age 65+) falls every year. In Washington State, the rate is 1 in 3. Falling is not a normal part of getting older. Learn how you can take action to reduce or eliminate common factors that contribute to falls for yourself or a family member.

Read More


Safety Tip: Preparing for Summer Wildfires

Safety Tip: Preparing for Summer Wildfires

The wildfire season has arrived and NOW is the time to ensure you and your family are prepared.

Read More


Safety Tip: Wear Life Vests on the Water

Safety Tip: Wear Life Vests on the Water

SVFD’s Special Operations team has already responded to more than 20 water rescue calls this year.

Read More


Safety Tip: Smoking while using Medical Oxygen is a Deadly Mix

Safety Tip: Smoking while using Medical Oxygen is a Deadly Mix

In the communities we serve, a dangerous trend is emerging — the use of at-home medical oxygen by people who smoke. Already in 2018, our crews have responded to two apartment fires in units where the resident smoked and used at-home medical oxygen. One resident sustained severe burns and both residents required hospitalization.

Read More


Safety Tip: Carbon Monoxide Alarms Save Lives

Safety Tip: Carbon Monoxide Alarms Save Lives

Carbon monoxide poisoning is believed to have killed two Coulee City, WA residents on February 12, 2018. A man and a woman were found dead inside their home in a trailer park, just after 7 pm. Investigators believe the two were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning from either a propane appliance or propane heater.

Read More


Safety Tip: ‘Close Before You Doze’

Safety Tip: ‘Close Before You Doze’

A simple behavior change could save lives. Close your doors at night – bedrooms, bathrooms and more. Starving fire of the oxygen it requires to grow will give you and your family more time to escape a burning home.

Read More


Safety Tip: ‘Twas the Night before Christmas

Safety Tip: ‘Twas the Night before Christmas

With the holiday season upon us, Spokane Valley Fire Department is urging citizens to think about safety while celebrating. This year, holiday safety messages have been given an added festive twist.

Read More


Safety Tip: Take Good Care of Your Chimney

Safety Tip: Take Good Care of Your Chimney

The three most serious problems that result from poorly maintained chimneys are carbon monoxide poisoning, chimney fires and premature failure of the fireplace and chimney. Use these Safety Tips to enjoy your fireplace or wood stove this winter!

Read More


X
X