On April 17th, 16 new SVFD recruits began EMT School. They will participate in 6 weeks of class, learning the ins-and-outs of EMS and then proceed...
Do Lithium-Ion Batteries Pose a Fire Risk?
Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries are in widespread use in consumer electronics. Lithium batteries have become the industry standard for rechargeable...
2023 Community Risk Reduction (CRR) Week
Each year, starting with the Martin Luther King holiday, fire departments around the nation support a weeklong campaign to educate communities about...
What is the purpose of the Board of Fire Commissioner?
The Spokane Valley Board of Fire Commissioners, consisting of five elected individuals, is responsible for governing the operations of the District. The board is generally responsible for the following areas:
- Determining levels of service and establishing goals.
- Determining type and level of funding, approve budgets, tax levies.
- Establishing policies and approve operational procedures.
- Employing key personnel, supervising chief.
- Guiding strategic planning.
- Representing District to public
What is the role of each elected Fire Commissioner?
- Attend meetings of the board of commissioners.
- Educate themselves to understand the history of our District, the laws governing the operation of the District and the individual’s role in governing the District.
- Actively participate in the governance of the District by working with the board of commissioners in open public meetings.
- Understand and comply with all ethics laws.
- Act as a representative of your District with a professional demeanor.
- Avoid any attempts to unilaterally direct staff members or micromanage the staff. The board of commissioners runs the District through the Chief, individual commissioners do not, and should not, attempt to run the District.
- Represent all constituents and avoid special interests. Maintain confidentiality of privileged or private District records and information
How do I let a Fire Commissioner know my opinion on an issue?
How do I comment on a Fire Commissioner Meeting?
Is there a way to comment even if I miss the meeting?
Comments are always welcome! Please use our web page to send a thought, email the board chair or an individual commissioner. Phone calls are welcome as well.
How do I watch a Commissioner meeting?
What if I miss the meeting, is there a way to watch later?
How can I schedule a meeting with a Fire Commissioner?
How Can I request a Fire Commissioner to attend an event or speak at an event?
Each commissioner is actively involved in the community and would welcome the opportunity to attend or speak at an event. Currently, under Covid-19 regulations or suggested guidelines, these meetings may need to be virtual, by phone or in very small groups with suggested spacing recommended. When Covid-19 becomes a ‘past memory’ other options will be openly received.
Did you Know?
- You can sign up for a station tour. Great for small groups.
- You should replace the batteries in your smoke alarms twice a year.
- Creating a defensible space with regards to wildfires could just save your home or property.
- We have Friends & Family CPR classes every month.