Learn how to save a life! According to the American Red Cross, “each year, more than 350,000 EMS-assessed out-of-hospital cardiac arrests occur in...
The weather is improving and many of us are opening the windows in our homes to enjoy the fresh air. Did you know that “every year almost 5,000...
National EMS Week 2022: May 15 - 21, 2022 Please join us in recognizing Emergency Medical Service (EMS) professionals during EMS Week: May 15-21,...
What is the purpose of the Board of Fire Commissioner?
The Spokane Valley Board of Fire Commissioners, consisting of five elected individuals, is responsible for governing the operations of the District. The board is generally responsible for the following areas:
- Determining levels of service and establishing goals.
- Determining type and level of funding, approve budgets, tax levies.
- Establishing policies and approve operational procedures.
- Employing key personnel, supervising chief.
- Guiding strategic planning.
- Representing District to public
What is the role of each elected Fire Commissioner?
- Attend meetings of the board of commissioners.
- Educate themselves to understand the history of our District, the laws governing the operation of the District and the individual’s role in governing the District.
- Actively participate in the governance of the District by working with the board of commissioners in open public meetings.
- Understand and comply with all ethics laws.
- Act as a representative of your District with a professional demeanor.
- Avoid any attempts to unilaterally direct staff members or micromanage the staff. The board of commissioners runs the District through the Chief, individual commissioners do not, and should not, attempt to run the District.
- Represent all constituents and avoid special interests. Maintain confidentiality of privileged or private District records and information
How do I let a Fire Commissioner know my opinion on an issue?
How do I comment on a Fire Commissioner Meeting?
Is there a way to comment even if I miss the meeting?
Comments are always welcome! Please use our web page to send a thought, email the board chair or an individual commissioner. Phone calls are welcome as well.
How do I watch a Commissioner meeting?
What if I miss the meeting, is there a way to watch later?
How can I schedule a meeting with a Fire Commissioner?
How Can I request a Fire Commissioner to attend an event or speak at an event?
Each commissioner is actively involved in the community and would welcome the opportunity to attend or speak at an event. Currently, under Covid-19 regulations or suggested guidelines, these meetings may need to be virtual, by phone or in very small groups with suggested spacing recommended. When Covid-19 becomes a ‘past memory’ other options will be openly received.