The SVFD Board of Fire Commissioners adopted a $35.3 million budget for 2016 on November 9, 2015. The budget allows for minimal growth in most programs and is about 3 percent higher than the 2015 budget. Voter approval of the special four-year levy in February 2015 will generate $18 million in property tax revenue in 2016. View the 2016 Budget
The 2016 Budget protects and preserves two important priorities:
- Increased staffing levels – includes six additional firefighters to bring daily operations staffing from 52 to 54 FTE per shift (full-time equivalent). A total of 12 new recruits will be hired in 2016; six will fill vacancies created by projected retirements.
- Improved health and safety of SVFD personnel – in addition to two full sets of turnout gear for every firefighter, the budget adds another personal protective equipment (PPE) washing machine (extractor) at Station 1 to supplement the new extractor already installed at Station 10. If funds allow, a third extractor will be added at Station 8.
The 2016 budget includes $1.4 million for capital projects:
- Apparatus – one new aerial ladder truck, one new rescue engine and two new staff vehicles
- Facilities – Millwood Station 2 (kitchen remodel), University Station 1 (extractor) and Liberty Lake Station 3 (design/engineering for new station) ·
- Equipment – a variety of operations equipment, along with information systems software and hardware upgrades.
Allocations for pension and medical funds are included in the budget, along with an ending fund balance (reserves) target of $11.2 million. The Board also reviewed revenue and expense projections for the next five years to ensure the continued financial health of SVFD.