The Spokane Valley Fire Department responds to fire alarm systems that have been triggered in homes, businesses, schools, apartment buildings and other structures across our service area. Depending on the type of alarm, our response will include one or two fire trucks to investigate. If live fire is found, we can quickly respond and ask for additional fire trucks, if necessary.
If you are inside a building when the fire alarm goes off, it is important to:
- Never ignore or assume the alarm is false or the result of a test.
- Evacuate the building by way of the safest and closest exit and/or stairway – everyone must evacuate!
- Never use an elevator to exit during a fire alarm activation.
- Once outside the building, move away from the building. If at home or at work, meet at your designated meeting place.
- Remember that the front of the building is where the firefighters and fire trucks will be operating. Do not obstruct their access to the building.
- Once outside, never re-enter the building until you are told to do so by the fire department.