Cooking fire is the #1 leading cause of residential building fires. Here are tips to prevent and stop cooking fires:
PREVENT Cooking Fires
- Never leave cooking unattended – Keep an eye on what you fry!
- Do not overheat oil – use a timer and check regularly
- Keep stovetop area clean – no flammable items nearby
- Do not wear long or loose-fitting sleeves while cooking
- Point pot handles toward stovetop center and away from other burners
- Keep hot food and liquids away from edge of counters and tables
- Teach safe cooking to children – keep a 3-foot “no child zone” around stove
STOP Cooking Fires
- Put a lid on it! Cover a cooking fire with lid or baking sheet to remove oxygen
- Turn off the heat to the oven or stovetop burner
- Shut oven or microwave door to contain fire
- Never use water to put out a grease fire – water and grease do not mix!
- Have a fire extinguisher handy and know how to use it
- Stop, Drop, Cover your face and Roll – if your clothes catch fire
CALL 911 and get everyone outside!