Spokane Valley Fire Department is Accredited by the Commission on Fire Accreditation International (CFAI). We first became an Internationally Accredited Agency in 2011 and joined the elite ranks of just over 200 fire/rescue departments worldwide to achieve this prestigious designation. In 2016, the Commission unanimously approved SVFD’s Accreditation for another five years (through 2021).
A comprehensive, rigorous self-assessment and evaluation model, Accreditation promotes excellence and encourages quality improvement leading to higher service delivery levels for citizens. The process enables fire and emergency medical services agencies to:
- Assure the public and colleagues that they have definite missions and objectives that are appropriate for the jurisdictions they serve
- Provide a detailed evaluation of the services provided to the community
- Identify areas of strength and weakness within the Department
- Create methods or systems for addressing deficiencies while building organizational success
- Encourage professional growth for both the Department and its personnel
- Create a mechanism for developing strategic and program action plans
- Provide a forum for the communication of organizational priorities
- Foster national recognition by the public and colleagues
“Accreditation is the mark of an agency that understands the importance of continuous improvement,” said Fire Chief Bryan Collins. “SVFD provides high quality emergency services, but we are always looking to improve. Through the Accreditation process, we have recommendations that we’ll be working toward for the next five years.”
The Accreditation process enables fire and emergency service agencies to examine past, current and future service levels and internal performance and compare them to industry best practices. This allows the organization to determine community risk and safety needs and develop community-specific Standards of Cover, evaluate the performance of the Department, and establish a method for achieving continuous organizational improvement.
For SVFD, the Accreditation process has resulted in the development and maintenance of key planning documents including a Comprehensive Risk Assessment, Strategic Plan, Self-Assessment Manual and Standards of Cover. These documents were carefully reviewed, validated and verified by a CFAI-assigned mentor and experienced Peer Review Team.
For more information, contact Accreditation Manager Chief Shawn Arold.